Swim Lesson Scholarships
SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM INFORMATION & PROCEDURES
The Tukwila Pool wants to ensure all people have access to swim lessons, programs, and aquatics activities. The pool’s scholarship program is funded annually with the intention to provide everyone the opportunity to participate in activities at the pool, regardless of income. The Tukwila Pool staff aim to create a warm, friendly environment that promotes water safety, efficient swimming technique and FUN! Staff is here to help with the application process if you have questions or concerns.
The request process is as follows:
- Complete the Scholarship Application and, if necessary, supply supporting documentation.
- Option #1: Give permission to Tukwila Pool staff to seek verification of Free/Reduced Lunch Program Participation with the Tukwila or Highline School Districts OR
- Option #2: Complete the Income Verification Worksheet section of the Scholarship Program Request Form and provide the following documents:
- Most recent Federal Income Tax Return Form OR
- Copy of last two (2) most recent pay stubs
- Return scholarship form and supporting documentation to the Tukwila Pool
- Tukwila Pool Staff will review the completed form and documentation and respond to your request within 10 business days of being received.
Application Information & Policies
- Qualification is based upon Household Income Guidelines or Free and Reduced Lunch Qualification. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s current “Income Guidelines for King County” will be used as the basis for establishing the award guidelines. Additionally, students qualifying for free/reduced lunch with the Tukwila or Highline School Districts (who live in Tukwila) may automatically qualify. The table below details award amounts based upon qualifications
|Tukwila/Highline Free/Reduced Lunch||HUD Income Guidelines||Scholarship Award Amount|
|80% – 50% of Median Income||50% of program or pass cost|
|Reduced Lunch||50% – 30% of Median Income||75% of program or pass cost|
|Free Lunch||30% or lower of Median Income||100% of program or pass cost|
- Scholarships are available to residents and/or students in Tukwila. Proof of residency and/or verification of school attendance may be required.
- Scholarships may not be available for all programs. Some programs are exempt from funding, and some programs may only be eligible for partial funding.
- Scholarships availability. Scholarships are dependent on funding availabilityand awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Funding is allocated annually and distributed seasonally as follows:
|Season||% of funds to be awarded|
|Winter: January – April||25%|
|Summer: May – August||50%|
|Fall: September – December||25%|
- Scholarships are limited. One scholarship per participant per season may be awarded. However, additional scholarships may be awarded at the discretion of the Director of Aquatics Operations depending upon funding availability. Only lessons continuation will be considered for additional scholarship funding in a given season. The intent of additional scholarships for swim lessons is to encourage skills competency relative to water safety.
- Additional Policy and Procedure information: Additional information can be found in Tukwila Metropolitan Park District Administrative Policy Number 300.01